Connecting youth in Christian community helps them develop a peer-base outside of their schools – a place based on the principle of inclusion – a place to find acceptance that reflects the boundary-breaking love of God.
It helps them...
- get connected to significant (non-parental) adults in the faith community.
- explore questions of faith, life, what it means to be a follower of Christ in a safe non-judgmental context.
- and engage in opportunities to put their faith in action
The relationships made during these formative years can have an impact for a lifetime!
Confirmation is the time set aside for youth to explore what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ and learn how that commitment can be expressed through active participation in a faith community. At FPCA we offer this class every other year on Sunday mornings from February through May, with members being in the 8th grade and older. The next class will be in 2019.
Youth ministry (grades 6-12) includes the following:
- Sunday morning Faith Development classes (9:45-10:45 AM) for Middle School (Room 209) and Senior High youth (Room 210); Confirmation Class offered every other year for 8th grade and older youth.
- Worship participation through leading prayers, serving as ushers, and offering music;
- An engaged Youth Choir with rehearsals regularly on Sundays (4:30-5:15 PM) during the school year;
- An active Youth Group (5:15-7:15 PM) meeting regularly during the school year, balancing fellowship & fun, service & learning;
- Seasonal Retreats & Recreation events (skiing, camping, youth winter league basketball);
- Opportunities to lead in special worship (Lovefeast, Youth Sunday, All Saints Service) and participate in service opportunities (Saturday Sanctuary, Pritchard Park, Room in the Inn);
- Summer retreats at Montreat & Massanetta Springs, plus mission immersion experiences for older youth;
- Opportunities for parents to connect for support and education.